Housing Support / Advice Contact Information
- 24 hour housing advice (SHELTER) 0808 800 4444
- Smell gas or suspect a leak? 0800 111999
- Power failure (Electricity) 0800 365 900
- Wessex/Bristol Water (Emergency) 0845 600 4600
Other helpful contacts
- Social Services Emergency Duty Team 01454 615165
- Police (Non emergency) 101 or visit their website
- Emergency (Police, Fire, Ambulance) 999
- NHS direct 111
- Citizens Advice helpline 03454 04 05 06
- National Debt Helpline 0808 808 4000
- Childline 0800 11111111
- NSPCC 24 hour helpline: 0800 800 5000
- NSPCC (For concerns about a child) 0808 800 5000
Mental health support
- Samaritans 116 123
- Mindline 0808 808 0330 or visit their website
- Off the Record 0808 808 9120 or visit their website
Domestic Violence Support
- National Domestic Violence Helpline (confidential, 24 Hour) 0808 2000 247
Honour Network Helpline 0800 5999 247
- MindOut (for LQBTQ) 01273 234839
- Men’s Advice Line (For men experiencing violence from partners/ex-partners) 0808 801 0327
- Respect Phoneline (Information and advice for people concerned about their abusive behaviour towards their partners) 0845 122 8609
- SARSAS – Rape & Sexual Abuse Service 0808 801 0456 / 0808 801 0464
- NAPAC (for adult survivors of child abuse)
- Victim Support National Helpline 0808 801 0331
Drugs & Alcohol Services
- TALK TO FRANK Text 82111 or call 0800 77 66 00
- NACOA (For children of alcoholics) 0800 358 3456
- DrinkAware 020 7766 9900
Health including sexual health
- NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine information
- NHS: Sexual Health
- Brook: Sexual Health for young people
Gangs and Crime
- Wecil runs a helpline for disabled people in Bristol to get in touch with any disability-related question.
Social and mental wellbeing support for support lesbian, gay, bi and trans people in the UK
- LGBT Switchboard Switchboard is an LGBT+ helpline – a place for calm words when you need them most. They’re here to help you with whatever you want to talk about. Nothing is off limits and conversations are 100% confidential. Call 0300 330 0630 (10am-10pm daily).
- RU Coming Out? Real life coming out stories.
- Meetup allows people to search for relevant groups in their area. You can also set up your own.
- FFLAG supports friends and family members of LGBT people.
- Maytree provides support for people who are feeling suicidal and provides a 4-day or 5-day stay. Call 020 7263 7070 for more details and to be assessed. Email address: email@example.com. The site is in London and they are hoping to open another house in Manchester in 2020.
- Papyrus the national charity for prevention of young suicide. They run HOPELineUK which is a National Confidential Helpline. Phone: 0800 068 41 41 / Text: 0778 620 9697 / email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Mon-Fri 10am-10pm / Weekends & Bank Holidays 2-10pm)
General useful support and advice for support lesbian, gay, bi and trans people in the UK
- Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) advises and assists individuals on issues relating to equality and human rights across England, Scotland and Wales. Phone number 0808 800 0082.
- Citizens Advice (CA)provides free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on a broad range of subjects, including debt, benefits, housing, legal matters, employment, immigration and consumer issues. You can find details of local CAs on their website.
Support for trans people, families and allies
- Mermaids UK family and individual support for gender diverse and transgender children and young people. Mermaids is passionate about supporting children, young people, and their families to achieve a happier life in the face of great adversity.
- The Gendered Intelligence (GI) Network for Therapists and Counsellors aims to support therapists and counsellors to enable a positive experience in a therapy setting for trans people (including young people) and their families. Here’s a link to the PDF version.
- MindLine Trans+ a confidential emotional, mental health support helpline for people who identify as transgender, agender, gender fluid and non-binary. Phone number 0300 330 5468.
- Online & mobile safety https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/online-mobile-safety/
- General online safety advice https://www.childnet.com/help-and-advice/11-18-year-olds
- Staying safe online https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/online-mobile-safety/staying-safe-online/
- Mobile safety https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/online-mobile-safety/mobile-phone-safety/
- Bullying & cyberbullying https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/types-bullying/bullying-cyberbullying/
- Homophobic, biphobic or transphobic bullying https://each.education/homophobic-transphobic-helpline
- Mental health support https://www.otrbristol.org.uk/
- Relationships. The internet. https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/14_plus/
- Staying safe online – Bristol https://bristolsafeguarding.org/children/i-am-a-child/online-safety/
- Staying safe online – South Gloucestershire http://sites.southglos.gov.uk/safeguarding/children/i-am-a-childyoung-person/staying-safe-online/
- Become a responsible digital citizen digizen.org or https://glitchcharity.co.uk/about/
- Report potential crime https://www.ceop.police.uk/Safety-Centre/ or https://www.iwf.org.uk/report/ or https://saferinternet.org.uk/
- Hate crime reporting https://saricharity.org.uk/about-us/ or report-it.org.uk or www.stophateuk.org
Hate Crime Support
- SARI (Support Against Racial Incidents) 0117 942 0060
- Awaz Utaoh – Asian Victim Support 07968 621 079
- EACH (homophobic bullying helpline) 0808 1000 143
- DIAS (Disability Information and Advice Service) 0117 903 8900
Violence and abuse
- Galop If you’ve experienced hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse, GALOP is there for you. They also support lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people who have had problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system.
- Refuge supports women, children & men experiencing domestic violence with a range of services. For support, call their Helpline on 0808 2000 247
- SARSAS Somerset and Avon Rape and Sexual Abuse Support is a specialist support service for women and girls who have experienced any form of sexual violence, at any point in their lives.