Get Involved and Have Your Say
What is participation?
1625 Independent People exists for young people – we are committed to ensuring you are involved in decisions that affect you and have a clear voice in our organisation.
How do we involve Young People?
We have a participation pathway made up of a diverse range of opportunities that allow for all young people to take part! All opportunities are aimed at giving you the chance to get involved in 1625ip, to make a difference whilst recognising your unique attributes and developing some new skills along the way.
These opportunities change sometimes, but currently, Young People can:
• Be heard – by participating in house meetings, forums, focus groups and other consultations or join in our social action training and activities to raise your voice loud
• Join in – with activities such as Cooking or our group for social connection – Project Grapevine
• Make decisions – by sitting on our recruitment panels and helping us hire the best people for the job
• Educate – talk, teach and represent young people by sharing insights with your peers and the public
• Inspire – explore your passions and support other young people whilst volunteering your skills at 1625ip
We have a wide range of ways you can get involved!
• Join the IPA – meet once a month on a Tuesday 4-6pm in Bristol and share your thoughts on how to make 1625ip the best it can be for our young people
• Become an Ambassador Lead – volunteer one day a week and work on a project to improve 1625ip and receive a personal development bursary to spend on something of your choice!
• Take part in Project Grapevine – join the group chat, tell us what activities we can put on and attend the social hang-outs and trips suggested by you and other young people
• Be part of Recruitment – help us interview staff and tell us if you think they are up to the job!
• Become a Peer Mentor – get partnered with a young person like you and help them to take part in activities that support their independence
• Become a Peer Supporter – attend 1625ip activities and support a staff member to look out for the wellbeing and inclusion of the other young people in attendance/support us to engage new members
• Become a Young Volunteer – volunteer in one of 1625ip’s teams and gain experience in an area you’re interested in
• Attend our Connects events – twice a year give us feedback in an open forum event. Hear about what the organisation is doing, tell us where we can improve and how it affects your life.
This is a great opportunity to make a difference, build confidence and meet new people. If you’re interested, please contact Keran, Zoe, or Ria for a friendly chat!
Keran – Keran.Brady@1625ip.co.uk
Zoe – 07496881434 or Zoe.Isherwood@1625ip.co.uk
Ria – 07944467251or Ria.Anderson@1625ip.co.uk
Why not become an Independent People Ambassador?
Independent People Ambassadors sit on our IPA Board (previously Youth Board). Ambassadors work directly with our Trustees, Strategic Leadership Team, and wider teams to shape and guide 1625ip.
• Reach out to other Young People, listen to their feedback, and tell 1625ip what matters to young people.
• Hear from, and work with, 1625ip to co-produce action plans based on the priorities set by Young People and help improve 1625ip services, and share ideas for new ones.
• Meet once a month for 1.5 hours and receive a living-wage payment every 6 months for their time and commitment.
Take your journey one step further – Join our Ambassador Programme and become an Ambassador Lead
Our Ambassador Programme is a 9–12-month programme for up to 3 young people a year looking to commit to a bursary-supported development opportunity within the Participation Team.
Ambassador Leads offer 5-8 hours a week and receive specialist coaching, training, and placement opportunities.
• Take an active leadership role on our IPA Board
• Contribute to 1625ip outreach to really listen to what young people have to say
• Innovate and work closely with our Funding and Communication team to shape future funding priorities and keep the young person voice central
• Undertake a range of training and development opportunities and use those skills to lead on a project informed by their passions and ambitions
• Advocate for their peers and influence meaningful change by representing 1625ip at the highest level within a range of spaces and events, including the 1625ip Board of Trustees.