History of Kingsley Hall

Kingsley hall has been at the centre of the Old Market
community since 1706.

Kingsley Hall is a Grade 2* listed building in Old Market, Bristol’s medieval marketplace – a nationally important conservation area with over 60 listed buildings from the medieval period onwards – see attached draft Heritage Building Assessment and Conservation Area Appraisal.  Kingsley Hall is one of Old Market’s most prominent buildings, with jettied upper floors supported on stone doric columns forming an arcade along the pavement. The building has vaulted medieval stone cellars, medieval boundary walls and a timber dog-legged staircase.

Originally built as a town house in 1706 on one of the medieval plots. The properties, known as no. 58 and 59 Old Market Street, were owned by a series of maltsters and brewers during the latter half of the 18th century to the mid-19th century. In 1843, the premises were described as ‘housed, malthouse, brewery, stable and yard’. The grade II* listed building is the only Bristol example of urban architecture which is more common in southwest towns,  Kingsley hall remains one of the last two remaining houses jettied over the pavement in the city.

The area of Old Market was named a conservation area of national significance in 1979, an ancient marketplace developed initially outside the walls of Bristol castle. For centuries, Old Market was the main route to London.

Kingsley hall has served many uses to the local community over the four centuries it has been in use and has significant historical links with the city, from its medieval walls and cellar through to its role as a Conservative Club and then headquarters of the Independent Labour Party. The Hall has played an important role in the history of social change, from the Suffragettes and the First World War through to debates about working conditions, housing and gentrification and in recent decades as home to 1625ip, the region’s largest youth homelessness charity.

 

 

Sources:

Old Market Bristol*

Kingsley Hall