1625 Independent People work to deliver one to one support and group activities for the young people we work with, aged 16-25, across Bristol and the surrounding areas. The activities we run support young people to meet new people, build confidence, learn skills, get advice and socialise. We also support young people to find training, jobs and education.
The closing date for applications for this round is May 23rd 2022.
A ‘Peer’ is a person of the same age, status, or ability as another specified person. We are looking for volunteers aged 16-28, who may have had similar lived experiences as the young people we support, to become Peer Supporters – this may include experience of:
- Substance misuse
- Mental health challenges
- Being a care-leaver, or involvement with social care
- The benefits system
- Barriers to accessing education and training
- Young parenthood/pregnancy
- Being a refugee or asylum seeker
We find that this lived experience gives the young people we work with the chance to engage with others that are able to identify with them, and share how they have managed in similar situations.
Peer support could include:
- Supporting a peer or peers in a group setting, alongside 1625ip staff
- Supporting a peer 1:1
- Co-presenting information to other young people internally or externally, with a member of staff
- Contacting young people to promote engagement
Group work involves taking part in activities, supporting young people to engage, including those who may be struggling during the session, and offering chances for young people to talk. There may also be opportunities to co-lead sessions if you have a particular skill or interest you are keen to share.
Projects we are currently running include sports, cooking, music and Project Grapevine, a social activities group, which is designed and peer-led by young people, with staff support.
All groups aim to build young people’s confidence and social skills, engage in activities positive for their wellbeing and have fun!
- Travel expenses (including mileage where needed), lunch, free tea/coffees at offices etc
- Training in Peer Support from the volunteering team
- Training in Wellbeing Support from wellbeing coaches
- The chance to grow your skills by attending other trainings offered by 1625ip
- Full induction, regular support and supervision
- Materials and equipment
- References for future employment (after six months of volunteering)
Requirements of role:
- The ability to communicate well, empathise with others, and encourage engagement
- An open and non-judgemental attitude
- A desire to support others who have faced challenges with mental health and wellbeing, and a willingness to engage with these topics in training
- Able to commit for at least three months, usually once a week
- Willingness to maintain contact with the peer support volunteer coordinator
- Completion of an enhanced DBS check, and a commitment to safeguarding (training will be given)
- A commitment to adhering to 1625ip’s volunteering, equal opportunities and data protection policies, including following the code of conduct, retaining boundaries, and confidentiality.
If you are looking to get into youth work, support work, training, social care and education then this is the perfect opportunity to get hands-on experience. We have staff with years of experience working with young people, come and learn from them, and the young people we work with!
We will be running several rounds of applications for this role. The closing date for applications for this round is May 23rd 2022.
If you’d like to apply please complete the below application form.
If you’d rather have a chat first and complete the forms at the same time that’s also possible. Please phone Claudia Hope on 07958 141176 or email her at email@example.com. We want applying to be as straightforward as possible!
If you’re not sure if you’re eligible, or if you have any questions about the role or the application process, please get in touch with Claudia, details above.
If you are successful in your application, you will need to complete a full DBS check. We will be able to support you in completing this, and will cover the cost of this check.
1625 Independent People is committed to promoting equal opportunity and diversity.
If you need a paper version of the form sent to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0117 317 8800.