In order to provide complete functionality, this web site needs your explicit consent to store browser cookies. If you don't allow cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of the web site including but not limited to: log in, buy products, see personalized content, switch between site cultures. It is recommended that you allow all cookies.

Text size:

Bristol Supported Housing

On this page:
Click on the links to jump to the section you want

The Supported Housing Service
Who we can house
Types of housing
What happens once housed
How to get on the Housing Support Register


The Supported Housing Service

Our Supported Housing Service in Bristol can house and support 190 young people aged 16 to 25. With a mixture of self-contained flats and shared houses across the city.  
We provide a safe place to live and support to learn all the skills you need to live on your own (for example - how to pay bills and budget, clean, cook, deal with neighbours). We also offer all our residents support in accessing and maintaining training, education and employment.
We have strong links and good working partnerships with many support, training and educational agencies across the city.


Who we can house

We can only house single people who are 16-25 years old and are referred to us through Bristol City Council’s Housing Support Register (see How to get on the Housing Support Register).
Independent People is a non-judgemental organisation, we will house any young person referred to us as long as they don’t pose a threat to themselves or others.

This is what our official Allocation Policy says:
“ To ensure a full fair and accessible service, Independent People do not operate a blanket ban on any particular client group other than those who fall out of the age range of 16 to 25.  Each applicant is fully assessed on their own merits, taking into account any risk or risk management plan that may impact negatively on themselves, fellow residents, staff or the community”


Types of housing we offer

Most of our housing is in shared houses, sharing with two to seven other young people. Each young person has their own private, lockable bedroom, sharing a kitchen and bathroom with the rest of the residents.  Some of our bigger houses have a resident adult or caretaker. They offer additional general advice during out of office hours for those who need a little extra support.
We also have a range of one bedroom self-contained flats with their own kitchen, bathroom and front door.
If there is enough demand we can look at adapting our houses for specialist accommodation. We have in the past offered gay, lesbian, Kurdish, Somali men, Muslim women, and women only houses.

Back to top

What happens once housed

We are not just a landlord.  Every young person has their own Housing Support Worker who will agree a plan of support with them.  The plan covers the five key points which used to be part of the Every Child Matters program.

The plan covers support in the following areas until they're ready to move on to independent living:

  • Help with settling into the new home with us
  • Help with applying for and setting up benefits
  • Getting to know the local community
  • Understanding the License or Tenancy agreement and their rights & responsibilities
  • Help with budgeting and managing money
  • Support accessing information and other services
  • Help with building independent living skills and maintaining their housing
  • Activities and peer support
  • Advice and support in moving on
  • Staying safe and keeping healthy

Resources we offer:

  • A named Housing Support Worker with weekly or fortnightly visits
  • Advocacy and advice
  • Referrals to specialist services such as counselling / drug and alcohol
  • A confidential service
  • A detailed assessment of their needs
  • A detailed and individual support plan
  • Stationery and postage for letters
  • Telephone and internet access
  • Non-judgemental and impartial advice on any problems they may be facing


How to get on the Housing Support Register

The register tells us who is accepted and referred to us and their housing priority status (how urgent it is).
We can help young people complete an Online Referral Form (ORF) or they can do it with the Bristol City Council’s Housing Advice Team (opens in a new window). Please see Bristol City Council’s web site for more information on the Housing Support Register  (opens in a new window) or contact us to talk to someone about registering. We cannot promise that a young person will be referred to us even if we help them register. It may be that they are better suited to another service.
The Council Housing Advice Team assesses the housing priority of the young person and adds them to the register. If they are referred to us, we invite the young person for an interview and assessment of their needs. All our support staff are experienced youth workers.
If we think Independent People is not the right service for them, we tell them why in person and in a letter and let them know what their options are for alternative support.

Back to top


All contents copyright© 2020. 1625 Independent People is a charity and a registered society (Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, reg: 23964R exempt from registration with the Charity Commission). Registered office: Kingsley Hall, 59 Old Market Street, Bristol, BS2 0ER. Created & Managed By Solsoft

Privacy Notice and Privacy Statement during Coronavirus